Wednesday 1 April 2015

Your Work Here is Done

I came across this song again recently and I realised how much the words apply in this situation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rqsltr5vsE



So, we're finally here are we? Yes the fateful day when you put on your Stevie Wonder track, remove your name from the door and depart All Saints leaving behind a legacy, a sense of a care and an everlasting love - hasn't it all came too quick?

But before you go I want to speak about my experiences over the past 3 years and try to understand why it's important that now is the time.

When you first came to All Saints I didn't care about languages, simply I didn't see the possibilities nor could I even consider what they could mean to me yet, suddenly your "higher French" calls stuck with me and I ended up choosing not only a subject but a culture, a country, a home and a family. I have never looked back on that decision, even if for the first couple of months I had no idea what I was doing. You see, people can forever tell me "you would never have picked a higher language if it wasn't for Mrs Campbell-Thow" and do you know what they are right. I wouldn't have but I am so glad you did come along when you did because who know's where I would've gone had you not. I might have picked higher French because you suggested it however, by no means does that suggest over the past 2 years that I've not discovered so much more. Every single day you have inspired me to do more, be more and push myself and I have grown so much since those days of Barenaked Ladies spending a million dollars.

Mrs Campbell-Thow, it would be an understatement to say you've changed my life because you've done so much more than that. You made me who I am today. My favourite thing from when the Teacher of the Year awards took place was when I told the people who came to talk to us that you don't only teach a language you teach lessons in life. It's one thing to stand in front of a class giving it "bonjour" but to feel it and channel that to us pupils is something else. Volunteering on a Sunday night in Glasgow city centre was something I would never have seen myself doing but, as weird as it is to say, I enjoy it. I feel so humbled after each sessions, I get a real sense of warmth when I go away from speaking with the service users - you never realise how important your time is to someone else until you visit a place where hope is gone and love is needed. You gave me the courage to do something like that, you taught me what it is to be a nice person.

When I think back at some of the crazy things we've all done over the past 2 years I feel so completed, so happy and so grateful but I'm also really sad. Those Bistro sessions are gone, those "it's Tuesday so we're having a staff breakfast" are gone. I'll miss those things because no one ever allows you to embrace your inner-self the same way languages do and I don't quite know if I can get out of the habit of that? You showed me how to be myself and there's no greater thing than being yourself amongst people who encourage and are entertained by who you really are.

I won't go on much more, I'll keep it short like what your time at All Saints seems like, but hey leave a party when it's great right? Campbell-Thow over the past 2 years you have been my inspiration, my driving force, my #LingoMammy. I'll miss those early morning coffee sessions, I'll miss your wise words but most of all I'll simply miss you. You have been the most awe-inspiring teacher I have ever had and I have gained ungainable knowledge in your classroom. Please never forget how you have absolutely changed the course of my life - I miss you on behalf of the school and you haven't even left yet. Time to go spread your magic dust somewhere else but, should you ever need us, the #LingoNinjas will never be far away.

Thank you more than words, in any language, can ever say.

Lingo Ninja points - strong 10


Declan. 

P.S. If it is really time to go, here's the link to get you geared up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXsxvdF481I

No comments:

Post a Comment